Tuesday 6 March 2018

How do I turn of "auto-echo" in bash when I 'cd'?


I don't know when this started happening but now, every time I cd to a directory it echoes the path right before it changes directories. This happens when I log into a server but doesn't happen on my local machine. The server is running Linux. My local machine is running Mac OS X.


I searched the Google as well as looked at the bash man page but I couldn't find anything. My .bashrc/.bash_profile doesn't have anything related to 'cd' (that I know of).


How do I modify this "feature"?



Answer



The shell auto-echoes because CDPATH is defined as an environment variable. If you UNSET CDPATH the default cd behavior will appear again.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...