Sunday 11 March 2018

encryption - Reading an encfs volume from Windows?


I've been looking into encfs as a solution to encrypt my personal data. However I want to access this data both on Linux and Windows on different machines (synced through Dropbox). So far all Google searches have brought up pages which specify that there is no Windows client that reads encfs.


Can it be done?



Answer



Since encfs is built on top of fuse, the obvious way would be to port it to a fuse driver for Windows. Apparently the two most likely possibilities are Dokan and Eldos Callback Filesystem, though neither currently advertises encfs support.


In the meantime, an alternative would be to run a tiny Linux file server inside a virtual machine or with Colinux.


An encrypted filesystem that is supported by both Windows and Linux is Truecrypt. Synchronization via Dropbox is likely to be a lot more expensive than with encfs, but it might still be doable if your files are small enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...