Thursday 1 March 2018

drivers - Install/Run Windows 7 off SD Card on 2010 13" MacBook Air


I'm attempting to install Windows 7 to a 16GB SD card. While I know it's not quite practical, I do have a reason - I want to be able to browser test sites on IE 7/8(Browser compat mode is good enough) as well as IE9. However, I don't want to have 2 Windows installations taking up space on my already tiny 256GB MacBook Air.


I think I'd have no problems doing this with a virtual machine, but I'm stubborn and I think this would be pretty damn cool anyhow.


My initial roadblock is that I can't find the SD Reader's Windows 7 drivers. If I had this on a USB drive, I believe I could load the driver in Windows 7's installer, making the SD card appear as a installation choice.


I know I can create a bootable OS X SD card, so I'm clinging to that as evidence that I can do the same with the Windows 7.


I have downloaded the Bootcamp Windows 7 drivers, but A) they're all .exe's and B) I can't find the driver on the disk anyways (I believe Apple to be the SD reader manufacturer).


End Goal: Windows 7 on 2 SD cards as bootable devices, a backup of the installation on my external drive for quick re-creation of the SD cards.


So, TL;DR - Has anyone done this? And does anyone know how I can get the SD drivers for Windows 7?



Answer



Using a virtual machine you can build the system on the local drive then move the entire virtual over to the sdcard and run it from there. I currently do this with USB pen drives for the same reason. I test different applications and do not want several different versions on my harddrive. Yes they are slower but still work fine after they boot up.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...