Sunday 1 October 2017

windows - Why can't we turn off firewall And file sharing?


I was under the impression that turning off file sharing "makes it more secure". Especially when I like to have my firewall switched off, turning off file sharing becomes more important to me.


enter image description here


But I couldn't find a way to turn off fire sharing without having the firewall automatically turned on. Does anyone know why do we have to enable firewall if file sharing is turned off?


More importantly, how do I keep both features switched off?



Answer



I'm not 100% sure, but AFAIK turning off file sharing just configures the firewall to block the applicable ports, which it can't do of course if the firewall isn't running.


The real question should be, why are you trying to 'make your machine more secure', but at the same time disabling the firewall it comes with?



  • If you're running in a trusted LAN (e.g. a home network), you're probably ok

  • If you're using another firewall product, you have to configure that separately to block file sharing


Otherwise, I would say you're better off learning how to configure the firewall to do what you want. Most of this can be done simply by making sure the profile is set correctly.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...