Saturday 19 January 2019

ASUS Laptop starts and stops charging frequently, but only when logged into Windows 10

I have an ASUS R500V laptop. Every once in a while -- often separated by months -- my laptop stops charging, randomly. When the problem happens, the battery will slowly discharge over the course of a couple of days. It starts charging and then the it stops 2 seconds later, and then starts again to charge for a second or two, then stops, etc. It will keep this up for days.


The original charger for the laptop died a couple of years ago and I replaced it with a "Prudent Way" charger that matched the laptop's power input specs. It's been working flawlessly for at least 3 years. Recently, this charging / not charging problem arose.


I have uninstalled the drivers for the Microsoft AC Adapter and the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery, removed the laptop battery, removed the power, shut it down, and then started it back up. The laptop will run without the battery on just A/C.


And the laptop will charge normally until I log into Windows. In other words, with Windows booted up and no user logged in, it will charge normally. But 30 seconds after logging in, it will go back to charging / not charging. If I log out, the problem stops. Log back in, it starts again.


Today, I'm down to 50% charge on a laptop that is always plugged in.


Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...