Saturday 6 October 2018

windows xp - Recovering files from laptop with XP that won't boot


I have a laptop with Windows XP installed that won't boot. It gives me a BSoD right before the log on screen. I can't access Safe Mode either. (same error).


Thing is, I need some files that are present in the HD, so I really can't format the hD's laptop yet.


Options I have considered:



  • Reinstall Windows XP on top of the current installation.

  • This would mean, if it doesn't delete my files, that I will recover the files than do a clean install afterwards.
  • Use a Linux Live CD and boot with it, and If possible mount the Windows partition and access files from there. Is it possible?


Any other ideas?


Thank you.



Answer



Take the hard drive out and use a USB hard drive enclosure. If you don't have another computer to access the hard drive from a USB enclosure with, then I would use a Live CD.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...