Saturday 6 October 2018

partitioning - Can't format my SSD anymore


I am not sure if my SSD is broken.


I tried to install Windows 7 on my SSD today and it somehow got stuck in the installation process.


After aborting the installation, I tried it again but I couldn't format it any more. I installed Windows on another HDD and it recognizes the SSD but I can't access it in any way.


I now booted into Linux with gparted and I can't create a partiton table error while creating partition tablel


It is listed in gparted and in my BIOS, but if I do fdisk -l it is not listed there.


Could it be possible that my SSD is dead?


What else can I try?



Answer



Yes, there is something else you could try. There are three add-ons for GParted that are useful for reformatting an otherwise good disk that has a corrupted partition:



  1. Device-Mapper Software RAID support tool (dmraid)

  2. Guess PC disk partition table, find lost partitions (gpart)

  3. Read/write NTFS driver for FUSE (ntfsprogs)


I don't know if it is possible to install these add-ons on the GParted Live USB, however it is certainly possible to select these add-ons for installation along with GParted in many Linux distributions, for example, Ubuntu. Or, if that is not possible to do in your Linux distribution, the GParted add-ons could also be installed separately.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...