Tuesday 30 October 2018

linux - command not found when using sudo


There are a few question on the site that seem related to my problem but I could not find a solution in any of them.


My operating system is Ubuntu 12.04. I have mvn installed in /tools/noarch/apache-maven-3.1.1 and I have added the following lines at the end of my /etc/profile:


export M2_HOME=/tools/noarch/apache-maven-3.1.1
export PATH=$M2_HOME/bin:$PATH

After that I execute source /etc/profile.


Now my problem is: when I run mvn --version the command succeeds and mvn executable is found, while if I execute: sudo mvn --version I get the output: sudo: mvn: command not found. I know that PATH may be different when I execute a command with sudo and that is why I tried this:


$>sudo echo $PATH
/tools/noarch/apache-maven-3.1.1/bin:... some other stuff ...

Another thing I tried is to execute sudo su - and then type mvn --version. In this case mvn is successfully found and the command succeeds. What is going on here?



Answer



$PATH is evaluated by your shell, so your check doesn't work as you expect it to.


/etc/sudoers is configured to replace your PATH with a default one.


sudo does not load a login shell environment before executing the command, so the default PATH from /etc/sudoers is used. su - does open a login shell, which involves loading /etc/profile. See man bash, section INVOCATION.


Just remove the PATH reset in /etc/sudoers. It's likely a rule called secure_path.




CentOS


In CentOS you can add PATH to the Defaults env_keep section:


Defaults    env_keep = "COLORS DISPLAY HOSTNAME HISTSIZE INPUTRC KDEDIR \
LS_COLORS MAIL PS1 PS2 QTDIR USERNAME \
LANG LC_ADDRESS LC_CTYPE LC_COLLATE LC_IDENTIFICATION \
LC_MEASUREMENT LC_MESSAGES LC_MONETARY LC_NAME LC_NUMERIC \
LC_PAPER LC_TELEPHONE LC_TIME LC_ALL LANGUAGE LINGUAS \
_XKB_CHARSET XAUTHORITY PATH"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...