Sunday 28 October 2018

network adapter - Realtek NIC running at 100Mb/s rather than 1000Mb/s


My Realtek NIC in my Windows Home Server (essentially w2k3) box refuses to run at 1000Mb/s even if I change the driver settings from Auto Negotion to 1000Mb/s full duplex. I've installed the latest driver and tried changing the speed setting but I'm having no luck. Not sure what to try next. Any ideas?


I have a Netgear GS605 v2 Switch supports 10/100/1000 D Link DIR 655 router.


All my machines bar one/2 have 1000Mb/s NICs (Old laptop/Xbox being the exceptions)


The reason I noticed the problem was because I was copying files between two machines and maxing one NIC out and only seeing 10% on the other machine. I do have a fairly lengthy cable between the switch and the router (maybe 20m) could that be the issue?



Answer



As others have already noted you need to be connected to a gigabit switch and, of course, there will need to be other gigabit enabled computers connected to that switch to get any practical benefit.


Note that if you are using a garden variety router/modem/switch it is almost certainly going to only be 100Mbit.


The other thing to be wary of is the cables being used. Yesterday I tracked down a similar problem in my own network where one of the computers would only connect at a slow speed. It turned out to be a dodgy Ethernet cable. You will need cables marked as Cat5E or, preferably, Cat6.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...