Monday 15 October 2018

boot - Recover the Windows bootloader on an HDD of another PC

Problem: I have a HDD with a Windows 7 installation, but without the bootloader (or whatever that loads it). The Windows installation is for a different computer than mine I would like to preserve. That computer's BIOS is faulty/too old/whatever, so I can't boot from USB or DVD. I can connect that drive to my PC either by USB or internal SATA. Is it possible to recover the bootloader in a way that the other, fairly old PC will work with it?


Details: We tried to clean reinstall Windows 7 on a friend's PC. The original setup was an 500GB HDD, with a cca. 90GB partition with the Windows 7 installation (p1), and a 400GB data partition (p2). The PC won't boot from USB or DVD, despite our best efforts, so we decided to clean the two partitions of it's 500Gb HDD separately. We formatted p2 and installed Win7 on it from the existing Win7 on p1. Then we booted Win7 on p2, and formatted P1. We didn't realize, however, that the bootloader was also on P1, and after a reboot we got stuck... so we took the HDD out, and I took it home to try whatever I can do, with my usb-boot-capable normal PC.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...