Thursday 19 April 2018

networking - How to change the dhcp range alloted through ICS in Windows 7 to 192.168.1.x range?

I have set up Internet Connection Sharing in my Windows 7 laptop. Currently the IP range alloted for ICS clients from DHCP is in the range of 192.168.137.x. I am not able to find a way to change the range manually to 192.168.0.x range (i.e the same range as my wireless router)


I tried googling but did not find any answer.


EDIT: I found this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/230148 from microsoft site , but this article may be very old, since I am not able to find that particular path in my regedit.


EDIT2: This is the specific scenario for which I need to do this. Note: I am not going to buy new hardware for atleast some time. (I know that buying a multiport wifi router will solve my problem) I have a pocket wifi router, which has only WAN port and no ethernet out. I have a desktop which has only ethernet and no wifi. Desktop has a i7 processor and 16GB RAM. So very powerful. I have a laptop with windows 7 with both wifi and ethernet. But my laptop has very low config and not very powerful I have set up ICS in my laptop to share internet connection in my laptop.


I have RHL Linux running inside a Virtual Machine in my dekstop. I want to set up a site-to-site VPN from my Linux VM inside desktop to my friend's VM in his house. His comp is also behind a NAT. I wanted my wifi router to be able to ping my desktop (so that i can set up natting in my pocket wifi router) and I thought that by giving the ip address in the 192.168.0.x range, I can achieve this. But I was wrong. My desktop did get ip address of 192.169.0.119 after trying out the below solution by @michael-kjorling . But neither my desktop nor my wifi router can ping each other.


So is there any way I can achieve this?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...