Saturday 28 April 2018

How to do a Windows 10 repair installation?

In order to resolve issues related to booting and the start menu, I am trying to run a repair installation of Windows 10.


The computer was delivered with a pre-installed Windows 7 without any installation disks (delivering those seems to have fallen out of fashion, unfortunately) and was unintentionally upgraded to Windows 10 when the user ran into Microsoft's X means accept trap.


As is suggested in this forum, a repair install of Windows 10 can be done despite not having any installation media by using the Windows 10 ISO. I have thus prepared a bootable USB storage with the ISO file generated by Microsoft's MediaCreationTool.exe.


Upon booting the destination computer from that device, however, I am confronted with the following message (in German, my translation below):


German message box text:


In English:



Apparently, you have launched an upgrade and conducted a system reboot from the installation media. If you wish to continue the upgrade, remove these media from the PC and click "Yes". In order to run a clean reinstall instead, click "No".



I am confused by this message and do not understand what it is trying to tell me:



  • The premise seems incorrect. I have not yet started anything, least of all an "upgrade".

  • As I have not started anything, and as I do not want to run any "upgrade" (I have not purchased any newer or higher version that the installed OS could be upgraded to), I do not want to continue the upgrade. Hence, "Yes" seems like the wrong choice.

  • I want to repair the existing installation. I do not want to entirely reset the system. Thus, "No" appears to be the wrong choice, as well.


How do I proceed from this point to reach any repair installation options?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...