Wednesday 25 April 2018

encryption - Is TrueCrypt truly safe?

I have been using TrueCrypt for a long time now. However, someone pointed me to a link that described the problems with the license.


IANAL and so it really didn't make much sense to me; however, I want my encryption software to be open source — not because I can hack into it but because I coan trust it.


Some of the issues with it I have noticed:



  • There is no VCS for the source code.

  • There are no change logs.

  • The forums are a bad place to be. They ban you even if you ask a genuine question.

  • Who really owns TrueCrypt?

  • There were some reports of tinkering with the MD5 checksums.


To be honest, the only reason why I used TrueCrypt was because it was open source. But however, some things are just not right.


Has anyone ever validated the security of TrueCrypt? Should I really be worried? Yes I am paranoid; if I use an encryption software, I trust it with all my life.


If all my concerns are genuine, is there any other open source alternative to TrueCrypt?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...