Wednesday 11 October 2017

windows xp - How to save chkdsk results to a .txt file?


Is there a way to get the results of chkdsk with the /f switch to a .txt file instead of having to go to the event viewer?


EDIT: I want to get the output of what chkdsk fixed, not just what errors have been shown.


PS: Im using Windows XP.



Answer



I found where Windows XP stores the output of the chkdsk run on boot. It stores the output in C:\Bootex.log


http://support.microsoft.com/kb/218461


EDIT: On a side note. I'll share this with everyone


To automate chkdsk via batch file, you can use the following commands:


echo y|chkdsk /f
shutdown -r -t 00

then you can retrieve the Bootex.log from C:\ afterwards.


EDIT2: Not sure what the default behavior is but it seems that it is hit and miss with whether or not a bootex.log exists. I saw a post on another website stating that bootex.log is supposed to be erased before login, unless autochk.exe encounters an error or if autochk.exe is canceled before it is finished. But I've seen the log there without either conditions being met.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...