Thursday 4 October 2018

windows 7 - One License and multiple PCs, how does it work?


This question is about win7, not an OEM license. I'm planning on getting windows 7 home basic for my machine. However, I'm also planning on building a PC in the next year or two.


Now, I've read around here that a single license can be installed on multiple computers, as long as you don't use it on two at the same time. Thing is: when I get the OS installed on the PC I'm gonna build, I'm gonna want to transfer a lot of stuff from one machine to the other. I'd like to do this through a local network, I don't have an external drive large enough to perform the transfer.


Since I'm gonna have the same license installed on both PCs, and since I'm gonna need them both running simultaneously for the transfer, I need to know how does the limitation actually work:



  • Is it only a legal matter? (it would be wrong to use both at the same time)

  • Is it also a windows update limitation? (once the second PC gets activated, the first one no longer has access to windows update)

  • Is it a stronger limitation? (once the second PC gets ativated, the first one will detect it during boot and just stop working)

  • Is it something else?


(The first two options wouldn't be much of a problem, since I'm only gonna use the old one for a few hours. The third option, however, could mean a headache.)


(Update: I've decided I'm either gonna transfer the HD itself to the new machine or set up a local network before activating the second machine. So my problem is solved.)



Answer



An OEM licence can only be used on one computer and only one computer - it can be reactivated as many times as you like, but again, only used on one single computer and not transferred.


A Windows Fully boxed product can be installed on as many machines as you like as long as it is only one at a time.


On all of these, if you do it to much, activation will fail however it is just a matter of ringing up Microsoft and explaining the situation, they will either give you a code to type that will activate Windows or give you a new key.


To your points.



  1. Yes, really just a legal point.

  2. No, Windows update will continue to work on both.

  3. No, and even if it did, Microsoft have weakened the security, worst case scenario is you have a 15 second wait at start and no desktop wallpaper.

  4. Not really.


However, if you have a new pc and just want to transfer files, Personally, I would put the hard drive of the old one either in an enclosure or just connect it directly to the machine.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...