Saturday 6 October 2018

Can Windows 7 boot from an external USB or FireWire drive?



Other operating systems can boot from external USB or FireWire drives, but Windows has, to my knowledge, never had this ability, at least not officially out of the box.


How is it with Windows 7? Can it be installed to and booted from an external drive?



Answer



I have spent a few days looking around for a solution to this and also made an attempt to install Windows 7 on an external drive myself.


Long story short, the answer can be rounded down to "No, it is not possible to run Windows 7 from an external USB or FireWire drive".


The rounding error is a few guides employing hacks and workarounds and third-party tools with partial success.


Edit: Links to sites on the topic


Raymond Chen saying it isn't possible


Tom's hardware guide, 14-step process using BartPE and other tools


Another site using VMWare and a registry hack


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...