Thursday 2 August 2018

windows 10 - Can I re-initialize a disk changing between MBR/GPT without losing data?

A Windows 10 PC started today with a black screen "Preparing automatic repair" on loop. Then somehow Windows started but one HDD was missing.


From Disk Management I can see the HDD, but as an Uninitialized disk (without space allocated or not). I'm trying several software solutions to recover data (like MiniTool Power Data Recovery, EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard), but they can't see the disk or its partitions, or they crash.


The options I seem to have are Initialize the disk or Rebuild MBR and the try and recover the data. The problem is that I don't know if the disk is MBR or GPT.



  1. Is there a way to know if a disk not initialized was MBR or GPT?

  2. Can I initialize an MBR disk with data as GPT or viceversa and still recover (or don't lose) the data?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...