Thursday 2 August 2018

linux - iTerm2 loses "ls" colors if I ssh to a server


Why do I lose ls' colors when I ssh to a server?


I would like those colors to be preserved. Is this possible? Should one do something on the server side?



Answer



The server doesn't use a colored ls command by default.


You can alias your ls command to always use colors in one of the server's shell configuration files (e.g. ~/.bashrc) with the --color=auto option.


alias ls='ls --color=auto'

Some additional remarks:




  • If the server runs Linux, the above should be enough to get colors working. You can use an LSCOLORS generator to manually specify the colors in a shell configuration file by adding:


    export LS_COLORS=…


  • If the server runs BSD / OS X, you additionally need the following for ls to automatically show colors (you then don't even need to specify an alias):


    export CLICOLORS=1

    Also, here it's not LS_COLORS, but LSCOLORS, and the syntax is different (see the LSCOLORS generator output).


    export LSCOLORS=…


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...