Monday 20 August 2018

bios - No display when discrete graphics card inserted

I recently purchased a new desktop PC: HP p7-1423w, i5-3330, HD Graphics 2500 (integrated). The first thing I did was remove Windows 8 and install Linux. A few days later, I was ready to install a graphics card that I already owned (NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 610 -- PCI Express 2.0).


When I insert the graphics card and turn on power, I get beeping and there is no display from either the discrete or the integrated graphics.


I can remove the card and work with the BIOS, but there isn't any setting that seems like it would improve this situation.


I actually had the same problem a few days earlier with a totally different computer (Gateway/AMD), which I decided to return. This makes me think that the problem relates to Windows 8 and the newer "UEFI" BIOS associated with that.


Are there known problems and solutions for installing discrete graphics in computers that are designed for Windows 8 but now run only Linux?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...