Friday 6 October 2017

wireless networking - File transfer over Wi-Fi fast - Internet over Wi-Fi slow

My MacBook Air is only getting 20-25mbps Internet speed over Wi-Fi, while my wired PC gets over 80mbps. So my first thought is "Okay, my wireless router just must be slow." The problem with that is, I can consistently transfer files on Wi-Fi at over 100mbps, so the Wi-Fi itself isn't slow.


My Internet isn't the problem, since anything wired to the router can reach the max speed of 75+mbps


So I'm having trouble understanding why the Internet over Wi-Fi cannot break 25mbps while the wireless router is clearly capable.


Do wireless routers perform differently when supplying Internet than they do with just local network traffic?


Router: Linksys E3200


Wifi internet speed tested using a mid 2012 MacBook Air and an iPhone 6S Plus

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...