Saturday 7 October 2017

Windows Server 2003 won't let me reformat a 2TB USB drive


I have two Hitachi XL2000 2TB external drives for nightly backups of a Windows 2003 server. BackupAssist recommends formatting the drives as NTFS, which was done with no problem when I purchased the drives 6 months ago.


Recently I had an issue where BackupAssist started rejecting one of the drives, "Cannot write to the media - possible hardware failure" and "Hardware not responding to commands." Since this was only affecting one of the drives, I sent the drive back to Hitachi for a warranty replacement.


I just received the replacement, which was recognized by the server without issue; but came from the factory formatted FAT32. When pointing BackupAssist to the new drive, it gave me "Warning: We recommend backing up to NTFS volumes only." When trying to format the drive with the Windows utility, the only choice listed is exFAT. What can I do to get this drive formatted NTFS?



Answer



Open a command box: I will assume D: is the drive letter, but substitute the actual letter in the next command.


Type the following command:



convert D: /FS:NTFS



and hit enter


If that does not work, open the Disk Manager, delete the partition, and recreate it as a primary partition, and then format it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...