Tuesday 17 October 2017

windows - How can I find out if a given program is 64 or 32 bit version?


How can I find out if a given program is 64 or 32 bit version? I can't to do it by simply looking at where it's installed, since some programs need no installer and may be put anywhere.


Here, no process explorer will help me, since the application refuses to start.


Reason why I need it: My new eclipse installation fails to load "jvm.dll" just like here. I'd bet I'm using 64-bit versions of both eclipse and JVM, but I'm slowly getting unsure....



Answer



There is a GNU-util called "file". You can download GNU Coreutils for Windows and download the file package here.


If you run something like


cd C:/path/to/file/
file myfile.exe

it will output something along the lines of the following


myfile.exe: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, [...]

so the output of file myfile.exe tells you that the executable is a 64-bit executable.


If you don't want to install GNU Coreutils on Windows and happen to have Linux installed, most popular distros include the file utility. You could also use a liveCD to boot Linux from a CD.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...