Friday 6 October 2017

windows - Creating a virtual NIC that connects to the same network as physical NIC


How can I create a virtual interface, that connects to the same network as the physical interface? I tried searching around but all I found is loopback. I need the other end of the wire recognizes this as two interface, so loopback won't do it. Hypervisors like VMWare have an option to do exactly this (VM and host are recognized as two devices on router's arp table), but in my situation using a VM is pretty much overkill. I just want another connection, or maybe some apps that can behave as a "virtual switch".


I'm on Windows, and it should be like this.


Expected_Virtual_Network


Seems like I'm not the only one having this problem. Someone here and here have also asked but there's no acceptable answer. My apologize, but it is extremely hard to search for this problem.



Answer



Procedure:




  1. Enable Hyper-V feature in Windows from optionalfeatures.exe or with command prompt using the following command as administrator and restart PC.


    DISM.exe /Online /Enable-Feature /All /FeatureName:Microsoft-Hyper-V /NoRestart


  2. Open Hyper-V Manager from start menu or with run dialog box, type virtmgmt.msc. Go to Virtual Switch Manager > New Virtual Network Switch > Select External type > Create Virtual Switch > OK. It is important to select External type for that virtual network switch. See the article below for further details.




Hyper-V_External_Virtual_NIC



  1. Open Network Control Panel (ncpa.cpl) > Select Virtual Network Interface (with vEthernet name) > Change it's IP and MAC address. IP can be in same subnet of real NIC and of same default gateway.


Further Reading:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...