Thursday 5 October 2017

ssh - PuTTY inserts random characters during a session


I recently started renting space on a remote server so that I could work on a project. I found that a relatively painless way to access it on a windows machine is through PuTTY. However, there is one thing that has always irked me when using it: for seemingly no reason random characters are sometimes inserted at the cursor.


Most of the time it is just a single tilde, but rarely it spits out what looks like some escape sequence ([[^8 or the like). It will only occur when I am focused on the window, whether I am typing or 20 feet away from the keyboard. If left for long enough, it will spit tildes at random intervals (average is about 1 minute).


Finally, this behavior seems to be inconsistant when running programs such as nano or the mysql interface: in nano, instead of inserting tildes, it will set marks (ctrl-^); in mysql, lines will become un-editable.


My question is this: Has anyone else experienced this sort of behavior in PuTTY? And if so, what can be done to prevent/correct this behavior?



Answer



I had the same problem with PuTTY and found that is was being caused by an application I have called "caffeine" which effectively presses the F13 key every minute to stop the screen saver from being activated (group policies prevent me from changing screen saver timeout on my machine). Disabling the application solved me problem.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...