Thursday 5 October 2017

.net framework - which app triggers the "Windows features" dialog?


I keep getting this window titles "Windows Features"
It then says that:



An app on your PC needs the following Windows feature:


.NET Framework 3.5 (Includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)



and I can choose to install or skip (being warned that my apps might not work correctly).


There is also a "telll me more about this feature" link but it explains about the .NET framework.


I want to know if there is a way for me to know which application is it that asks for this feature as the window just keeps popping out of the context of activating a new app...


This all started just a few days ago after some unattended update on my windows 10.



Answer



You get this message because you try to run an application which is compiled for .net 2.0/3.5. Run ProcessExplorer and look for the process Fondue.exe and look at the properties of the process Fondue.exe. There you can find a textbox parent process, to see which other process triggered the start. If you see Non-existent process (PID), you need to do an other step.


Install sysmon and when you next time get the “Windows features” dialog, check again for the parent process id.


enter image description here


Now look in Eventlog for the data that sysmon added and look which process for your current session had the process ID from the parent textbox.


Now you know which process triggered the “Windows features” dialog.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...