Tuesday 10 October 2017

linux - What is the difference between swap entries in fstab?


I've been looking around and seen two different things ways to declare swap in fstab.


I've seen something like the line below:


UUID=UUID-HERE none swap sw 0 0

and


UUID=UUID-HERE none swap swap 0 0`

What, if anything, is the difference?



Answer



When the filesystem type is swap, neither of these options mean anything. In fact, the only option that makes sense is pri=n, specifying the swap space priority. Usually you don't need it and can just specify defaults:



UUID=foo none swap defaults

(The mount point, as well as dump and pass fields, are irrelevant too.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...