Monday 2 October 2017

linux not using swap, but OOM killer is triggered

I've been having this problem for a long time now, and I can't seem to figure it out, basically, my linux (32bit 3.2.6-3.fc16.i686.PAE) system is refusing to use the swap. When I run


$ tail /dev/zero
tail: memory exhausted

it does not resort to using the swap at all.. it just dies after using up the physical RAM. Here are the relevant details.


$ free -m
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 8076 4652 3423 0 123 543
-/+ buffers/cache: 3985 4090
Swap: 8192 116 8076


$ cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness
60

$ ulimit -m
unlimited

$ cat /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_ratio
50

$ cat /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory
0

I tried setting it to 1:


# sysctl vm.overcommit_memory=1
vm.overcommit_memory = 1


$ cat /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory
1

and tried again, same result. Any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...