Sunday 15 October 2017

"Firefox is already running" with -no-remote


I would like to open a new instance of Firefox. I tried


firefox -no-remote

and


MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1 firefox

as detailed in the docs. However I keep getting the message


Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, 
you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your system.

How can I launch a new instance of Firefox from command line?



Answer



The -no-remote option is used for running multiple Firefox profiles at the same time. You are getting the "Firefox is already running" message because you are trying to open a second Firefox instance with the same profile.


You should be using this option as follows:


firefox -no-remote -P "Another Profile"

or


firefox -no-remote -profile "profile_path"

where profile_path is an absolute or relative (to firefox.exe) path.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...