Thursday 2 August 2018

Running Operating System from memory

Assuming SSD's are extremely prone to faliure how economical would it be to load an OS into main memory and run it from there?


I can think I can deal with a few obvious drawbacks (I've survived inside the bounds of a 20gig VM for the last 2 years), but what are the pro's, con's, requirements and cost for running Windows 7 or the latest Fedora or Ubuntu distro strictly from RAM.


Just so there's no confusion, I'm not saying run the OS from a USB stick or live CD. I'm saying, start the computer, transfer the entire OS into memory from a external HD or 'the cloud' or a big memory stick and run it there. When the machine turns off, save the state to the external storage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...