Thursday 2 August 2018

How to find out which Firefox tab is using most CPU or memory?



There are times when the Firefox responds reluctantly. And it is not only when I have opened many tabs. But there are cases when I have opened as many as 20 tabs and Firefox is working fine and there are cases when I have opened just 5-6 tabs and Firefox behaves lazy.


So, I guess it do not depend on the number of tabs and there must be a specific tab which causes the problem. Isn't there a way to find that tab out and close only that instead of closing Firefox completely1? Is there an addon for that, or a script?



Answer



The BarTab extension for Firefox (not available for the latest Firefox versions) might be useful for improving the situation:



BarTab can intercept when tabs are loaded in the background or restored after a browser restart and will only load the content when the tab is actually visited. It also allows you to free memory by unloading already loaded tabs, either manually or automatically.



Otherwise, you might switch temporarily to Google Chrome, where Shift + Esc displays the per-tab usage:


Image


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...