Saturday 4 August 2018

How can I stop windows re-positioning after waking from sleep?


I put my multi-monitor system to sleep when it's not in use. After I wake it up, all windows are repositioned to a different screen. The closest pattern I can think of is that the windows there were on the main screen switch to a the second screen. It looks like it disconnects the main screen before it goes to sleep which in turn switches all the windows to the 2nd or 3rd screen.


Edit: Here's the video card I'm using --> SAPPHIRE FleX 100322FLEX Radeon HD 6450



Answer



The issue is most likely with the graphics driver. Whenever a single monitor is disconnected from a multimonitor setup in Windows, Windows will attempt to move everything from that screen onto the remaining screen(s). Usually, this will not occur when suspending/hibernating/shutting down the computer. Thus, it is probably because of the graphics driver doing one of the following:



  • 'Disconnecting' the monitors when you put the computer to sleep, so when Windows awakens, it must re-determine where to place everything.

  • Recognizing the monitors in a different order each time you bring the computer out of sleep, forcing Windows to rearrange your application windows.


Check to see if there is an update to your graphics driver by going to the chipset manufacturer's website.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...