Friday 13 April 2018

windows - Is there a simpler way to log into a local account on a domain workstation?


Occasionally I need to log into a local machine account on a Windows workstation joined to our domain. The syntax for specifying a domain account looks like this:


DOMAINNAME\myusername

whereas the syntax for logging into a local account is


HOSTNAME\myusername

The problem is that I often don't know the host name off the top of my head. It is possible to find out by clicking the "How do I log onto another domain" link, but this requires me to memorize or write down an often cryptic hostname. Is there another, simpler way to do this?



Answer



You can use a period to represent the local host name when logging in.


So, .\Administrator would be the local administrator account.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...