Monday 21 August 2017

macos - Setting environment variables Mac 10.6




Possible Duplicate:
What are PATH and other environment variables, and how can I set or use them?



How to set an environment variable in Mac OS 10.6. I am finding it difficult or the options that I found in the google searches does not seem to work as expected



Answer



Aside from the standard *nix ways of exporting variables (see JRobert's answer) there is a Mac specific way, which might be helpful, especially if you want GUI programs to pick up the environment variables.


First install the Developer Tools (on your OS X DVDs). Then in Terminal:


open ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist

The file should just have an example key:value pair for PATH. Then just click on "Add Child" and make your changes. You might have to log out and back in again, I'm not certain if the file gets reloaded on the fly.


The benefit of the environment.plist is that it's available to the entire OS, rather than just command line programs.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...