Wednesday 23 August 2017

Why does GRUB load after I select my Ubuntu Partition from Windows Boot Manager?


So first of all I'm running Windows 7 on one drive, and Ubuntu 9.04 on another. I downloaded and installed Easy BCD 2.0, which I have to say is an excellent piece of software. I used to have grub as my boot manager, but when I installed Windows 7 I lost grub and so I tried using Easy BCD to just use the Windows 7 boot manager to get Linux working.


I was successful, and it was so easy thanks to easy BCD... however, when I do this and select the option of Ubuntu in Windows Boot Manager, it then takes me to grub!! So I basically have to go through a two step process to boot up into Linux. Any ideas?


I found this question, which is similar but I didn't update anything and especially didn't update the Kernel. So the steps to get this were different which led me to post this before even attempting anything mentioned there. Also, I was wondering if anyone knows of a way that I can see what boot loaders are installed and on which drive each reside? Is there some GUI that will show me this info (don't really care if its a gui just prefer it)?


Note: I'd like to say that it doesn't make a difference to me which manager I use, but getting grub to work has proven tedious with all the errors (18, and 21) and using supergrub usually fixes them but breaks my RAID, which I don't intend on doing again.




UPDATE:


I followed the guide to set up Easy BCD for Ubuntu, however when I selected my partition, the only way it will work is if I check the box that says "GRUB isn't installed to MBR boot sector" which is weird because obviously it is since it loads GRUB... Also, when I don't check it, it just plain doesn't work, it will restart my computer and bring up the Windows Boot Manager and give me the selection choice again.



Answer



According to the Easy BCD Documentation this is how it is intended to work. I suspect the windows boot manager doesn't know how to load Linux kernels and initial ram disks, so grub is necessary.


Your best bet to make it look like it's not using grub. How you do this depends on the version of grub you are using. For ubuntu 9.04 or earlier set the hiddenmenu option in your menu.lst. For later use the magic incantation here. you could also make the timeout shorter so that it boots quicker.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...