Thursday 24 August 2017

hard drive - Samsung SMART B8 parameter(End-to-End error) fail. What does it mean? What could be the cause? What should I do?

On a secondary PC, when I started it the mainboard boot screen said the SMART failed for my HDD, and that I should backup asap. I've checked in Windows with HDD Health, and it seems that parameter B8(End-to-End error) has dropped to 1 or 0(I don't remember it exacly and I'm affraid to start that PC again, because I have some valuable data on that HDD).


Then, first thing that I did was to thange the SATA cable, thinking that a faulty cable could be the cause to End-to-End errors. But, as expected, the SMART parameter did not reset itself. So, I don't actually know if it really was a faulty cable.


What do you think? What could be the cause of these End-to-End erros? What should I do?
I'd want to try a backup, but I'm worried about gettind corrupt data, due to this problem.


The HDD is a 2 years old, Samsung, 500GB, SATA2, 16MB buffer, 2x250Gb platters. Unfortunately I don't recall the exact model. If needed I could provide it tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...