Thursday 31 August 2017

How to merge Windows registry hives directly without converting them to an intermediate text based file?

Help! I'm going to get fired if I can't figure out how to do this by tomorrow.



Microsoft Windows stores its registry databases (known as "registry hives" there's actually a backstory to the origin of this name, but I digress) in a proprietary binary format.


Answer this correctly or you lose your job:




  1. Let H-sub-A be the registry hive of Computer A, and let H-sub-B be the registry hive of Computer B.




  2. Create a registry hive H-sub-A-prime (in the native binary format) that contains all of the registry keys and values in both H-sub-A and H-sub-B. If there is overlap, let the value from H-sub-B overwrite the value in H-sub-A.




  3. Sure, you can import a text-based patch file (e.g., "FOO.REG") to modify the registry, but can you merge two registry hives in their native binary format?




Answers that involve exporting the registry to a text file (e.g., "FOO.REG") will receive no credit. You may only use software included with Microsoft Windows (any version) and / or third-party tools that are free of charge.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...