Friday 25 August 2017

downgrade - Asus K75D windows 8, install windows 7


I've just booted a brand new Asus K75DE notebook which comes with Windows 8 pre-installed. I was amazed when the serial key was not sticked to the bottom of the laptop, and after some research I found that the serial number is embedded in the bios firmware.


The laptop is meant for one of my relatives which has next to no PC experience and the learning curve for Windows 7 was hard enough. Now, I want to install Windows 7 on this machine by downgrading. I've got a Windows 7 media and everything is prepared. I've got a couple of questions before I begin;



  • The serial number for Windows 8, is it the serial number presented at the "Serial Number" column in the first screen in bios? I'd like to know if I ever need to re-install windows 8.

  • Does the Windows 8 serial work for Windows 7?

  • An alternative is to re-enable the old "Start" button and disable the Metro UI, but this does not seem to be possible without 3rd party software (which I'm not interested in)?


For the record I'd just like to comment on how hard it was for me to just find the shut down menu and I can't imagine how hard this will be for my relative.



Answer





  • I cannot comment on that, but if it is a 25 digit alphanumeric key, then it most probably is your product key or serial key. You can confirm, by going to:



    Control Panel>System and Security>Action Center>Security>View activation details (Under Windows Activation) --If you are on Category view on the Control Panel


    Control Panel>Action Center>Security>View activation details (Under Windows Activation) --If you are on Large/Small icons view on the Control Panel



    This will give the last 5 digits of the key and you can check the last five digits on the BIOS to confirm




  • No you cannot use the Windows 8 key on Windows 7. But if you really want to downgrade, some laptops have downgrade rights. Read here and here to get a better understanding.




  • I don't really understand where the question is, but yes, only 3rd party apps can bring back the Start menu at the moment. If you end up wanting to use a 3rd party app, try Pokki, which is amazing, or some of the other suggestions here




No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...