Monday 28 August 2017

windows - Does compression on a TrueCrypt drive compromise the security?


I choose “Compress drive to save disc space” under drive properties.



Answer



The compression should have no effect on the security offered by TrueCrypt.


If the compression is applied before the encryption, i.e. at the filesystem level hosted within an encrypted file/partition then the data will still be as well encrypted as it would be uncompressed. No one would know it was compressed data until they'd managed to decrypt some of it anyway.


If the compression is applied after the encryption then it will have little or no effect either on security or space used - in fact it would most likely back-fire and result in wasting space - so you'll just be wasting CPU cycles. Data encrypted with cryptographically safe algorithms should not have enough redundancy for the compression algorithm to find.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...