Sunday 20 August 2017

linux - Recover files from formatted partition

My external HDD suddenly decided that it doesn't want to mount one of the partitions anymore. When trying to open under Windows, I got "corrupted partition. Can't open" type of error. So I just formatted that dude, but it would be nice to recover some files.


I tried with R-Linux GUI software and was unsuccessful - could not read any deleted files. Then decided to try the good old TestDisk in the terminal. I go to Advanced Filesystem Utils and then for the selected partition I choose Undelete but cannot find any deleted files.


I haven't installed any OS on top of that drive after it has been formatted. Not even a single .txt file has been copied to the drive after the formatting.


Is the recovery of any files doomed? Do you have any magical suggestions?


P.S. I formatted the partition from Windows, and the partition itself is NTFS.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...