Friday 18 August 2017

Any study about RAID arrays with identical/different drive models?



We often see advice about mixing hard-drive's model or brand for RAID arrays (also works for any disks groups, for example a ZFS pool).
The rationale is: drives produced in the same batch tend to have same intrinsic problems, so tend to fail together.


I use identical drives for RAID since years on 60+ systems. I never noticed any problem.
But other people do.
Point of view, statistics, coincidence, luck, fate... or real hazard ?


Is there any (serious) study or source about drive pairing in a RAID ?


The only good argument I know until now is about firmwares: when a drive bricks because of a firmware bug, the twin is very likely to fails in a narrow time frame. But also a similar drive from another batch. This is a rare event, but we speak about small improvements between two methods, so rare events count in the balance.



Answer



I know 2 papers about hard-drives and/or RAID:


Using Device Diversity to Protect Data against Batch-Correlated Disk Failures
This one is based on a batch failure, but no discussion about the frequency of such problem.


Disk failures in the real world: What does an MTTF of 1,000,000 hours mean to you?
This one is based on a study against 100,000 disks, and there a little coverage about batches.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...