Sunday 16 September 2018

windows xp - Is there any way to ensure that a specific USB key always gets the same drive letter?


Depending on what's currently connected to a PC, a USB key does not always get the same drive letter. This is an issue for me because I want to use this key as a backup destination, and I thus have to change the path that's used from time to time.


Is it possible to make sure that a specific key always ends up with the same letter?



Answer



If you insert the USB key and then go to the Disk Management Console (right-click '(My) Computer' and select 'Manage' then 'Storage' in the left hand panel). You can then right-click a drive in the right hand panel and select 'Change Drive Letter and Paths...' where you can assign it a specific drive.
Then repeat the process for each USB key.


I'd keep the letters towards the end of the alphabet to avoid conflicts with other removable media.


I go from 'U' upwards...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...