Tuesday 18 September 2018

For which codecs/containers does Windows Media Player now have inbuilt support with Windows 8?


Assuming WMP has been enhanced for more functionality, I'd like to know for what codecs/containers WMP now has inbuilt support in Windows 8 (which weren't already there in Windows 7) since I tend to avoid installation of any more players if WMP is sufficient.



Answer



I don't think there are any.


In fact, in Windows 8, the Windows Media Player does not include any DVD codecs. You cannot play any DVDs, due to licensing issues. Microsoft has said:



Windows Media Player will continue to be available in all editions, but without DVD playback support. For optical discs playback on new Windows 8 devices, we are going to rely on the many quality solutions on the market, which provide great experiences for both DVD and Blu-ray.



Source: Microsoft ejects DVD playback from Windows 8


Personally, I prefer VideoLAN (free), and it appears to play anything I throw at it. Because it is open source, it also means there are no commercial subtle hints to "buy stuff from our store", which is good.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...