Tuesday 17 April 2018

How to Enable Virtualization Windows 10, InsydeH20


I am trying to enable my virtualization on my Windows 10 machine with no avail. I need this for android development.


Here are some specs:



  • Windows 10 x64 home

  • Intel Core i5

  • InsydeH20 BIOS - virtualization is ENABLED

  • According to Speccy, virtualization is supported but not enabled


I have tried everything I can think of. I have read other messages and other forums and nothing seems to help. Many times the question pertains to a VM or virtual box, but this is a stand alone computer with no other virtualization on it.


Some messages say that Hyper-V is needed, but Hyper-V is not supported with windows 10 home. If I need it, I can upgrade, but I don't want to do that if it's not needed.


Anyone have some suggestions?




Error Messages:


In Android Studio I am told that HAX kernel module is not installed. However, this is, in fact, installed per the Android Studio.


enter image description here


When I try to run the installer manually, I am told



This computer meets the requirements for HAXM, bt Intel Virtualization Technology (VT-x) is not turned on.




Answer



After banging my head on the keyboard multiple times with no avail, I finally figured out what the problem was.


First, let me say that the issue is NOT Hyper-V. If you are running into this issue and you think that you need Hyper-V (as I did), you don't. In fact, installing Hyper-V made the entire process worse. Instead of getting an error that the VT-x wasn't turned on, you get an error that the computer is incompatible for virtualization. So, don't waste your time or money (windows home does not have Hyper-v, you have to upgrade to pro to get it).


The solution was actually pretty simple, but I would have never thought of it on my own. I ran across this thread just out of curiosity on what people would do without the virtualization option in BIOS and noticed the settings for Avast (which I happen to use).


Disable


 Settings > Troubleshooting > Enable hardware-assisted virtualization

Restart and Viola! VT-x is now turned on HAXM installed successfully.


Hope that helps!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...