Tuesday 17 April 2018

Have I managed to disable automatic updates on Windows 10?

I've already asked how to do this, but I was shunted to this question, which I personally didn't find helpful, because I was already aware of the options presented and their limitations. The closest option to what I wanted was the "defer upgrades" option, but Windows says it will not defer certain updates, and only for a certain amount of time. So, I resolved myself to look for an answer myself, and I think I might have found one. Could anyone verify for me that this will work?


I ran the Edit Group Policy program, navigated to Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update, and changed the setting labeled Configure Automatic Updates. I changed this to option 2, labelled:



2 = Notify before downloading and installing any updates. When Windows finds updates that apply to this computer, users will be notified that updates are ready to be downloaded. After going to Windows Update, users can download and install any available updates.



It would appear that this is exactly what I want, but I have been told now multiple times that it's impossible in Windows 10. I'm also not too familiar with Group Policy, although from looking at its Wikipedia page, it apparently will be enforced on single computers. Could someone verify for me that this will or will not work?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...