Saturday 2 February 2019

How to recursively search FTP server using Linux?


I googled this and found tons of answers, but for one reason or another they just didn't work for me or wouldn't fit the situation. I run DD-WRT third party firmware on my routers. Occasionally I want to update one and need to find the newest firmware so I will have to go manually search ftp.dd-wrt.com. I found a way to use Google to search the repo recursively, but it's picky. I can google using the query below and it finds some but is very picky.


site:ftp.dd-wrt.com ROUTERMODELNUM

Is there a way to do recursive searches of an FTP server? Even recursively displaying files in a FTP server and then using grep to filter would be acceptable to me.



Answer



Use curlftpfs.



The program curlftpfs is a tool to mount remote ftp hosts as local directories.



This is a FUSE-based solution, get familiar with security concerns. You can (and should) do the mounting as a normal user:


curlftpfs -r ftp.dd-wrt.com ~/mnt/foo/

Then play with find or whatever. To unmount:


fusermount -u ~/mnt/foo/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...