Sunday 2 September 2018

windows - Use VPN connection only for selected applications


I have access to a VPN and want to use it only for some applications, not all.


For example:
If I connect to a VPN I want only the applications Opera and Newsbin to use that VPN connection. All other applications, like f.e. Outlook, should use the normal internet connection (while the VPN is connected/open).


Afaik this isn't possible, but I'm not totally sure. So therefore my question: is it doable?



Answer



No it isn't. Well not using normal means. Routing is routing. Routing operates lower down the OSI model. What you need to happen is for it to be aware at the applicaion level (higher up) so it can detect what program you are using etc. NORMAL routers do not allow you to configure routes based on applications or port numbers.


I think it is possible though. Routers can see ports so you can filter them by port number and send the traffic out different routes. i am sure i read something a while ago with Cisco routers that can do this. They don't come cheap though and they are business routers which require a lot of config and I'm guessing you want something simple for home use.


In summary it is the router that would need this feature and your bog standard ones for home use, even business don't support these features. Only the advanced line of Cisco and Sonicwalls offer these capabilities.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...