Tuesday 18 September 2018

linux - Recommend me a good video format to encode my video

I recently got a helmet camera for my motorbike and was able to make videos, however it stores it in Motion JPEG, which is very space inefficent. 30 minutes of 640x480 takes up 2GB. I can convert that to mpg, with this command:


ffmpeg -i myvideo.avi myvideo.mpg

Which is a good space saving. However is this the best video format? Should I use something new like AAC? If so, how? (ie what's the ffmpeg/mencoder/gstreamer/transcode command)


Requirements:



  • Convertable on linux using only open source tools

  • Must play on linux

  • Don't care about making it play on other devices (like ipods)

  • Should keep reasonably the same quality

  • Don't care about the audio, I'm tempted to remove it

  • I'm willing to use 'patent encumbered' formats like mp3, etc.

  • I'm not too interested in shaving miliseconds off treanscoding time or extreme file savings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...