Wednesday 19 September 2018

Easiest way to open CSV with commas in Excel


CSV files are automatically associated with Excel but when I open them, all the rows are basically in the first column, like this:


enter image description here


It's probably because when Excel thinks "comma-separated values", it actually searches for some other delimiter (I think it's semicolon but it's not important).


Now when I have already opened this file in Excel, is there a button or something to tell it "reopen this file and use comma as a delimiter"?


I know I can import the data into a new worksheet etc. but I'm asking specifically for a help with situation where I already have a CSV file with commas in it and I want to open it in Excel without creating new workbook or transforming the original file.



Answer



This is what worked for me - it is a combination of some of the answers here.


(Note: My PC is using a Czech format settings that format numbers like this: 1 000,00, i.e., comma is used as a decimal separator and space as a thousands separator. The default list separator in system settings is ;.)



  1. I changed the system List separator to a comma in Region -> Additional settings

  2. In Excel 2013, I went to Options -> Advanced and unchecked Use system separators (under "Editing Options", which is the first section)

  3. I set decimal separator in Excel to . and the thousands separator to , (the thousands separator probably doesn't matter but I wanted to make it consistent with the US formatting)


An alternative to steps 2+3 would be to change these settings in the system settings (step 1) but I generally want to have numbers formatted according to a Czech locale.


Downsides: in Excel, I now need to enter decimal numbers using the US locale, i.e. using the dot instead of a comma. That feels a bit unnatural but is an acceptable trade-off for me. Fortunately, the comma key on my num-pad turned to the dot key automatically (and only in Excel - other apps still output a comma).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...