Wednesday 4 April 2018

windows - batch file to move files from sub dirs to root dir with overwritting files with name conflicts


So requesting some help, I am currently trying to sort out a mess in my google photos. I have downloaded the archive of my google photos and have a bunch of folders with files/photos in them. I am trying to write a batch file to move the files/photos from the folder to the root of this portable drive I am using for the cleanup.


So far I have this:


@echo off
for /f "tokens=*" %%f in ('dir /a:-D /s /b') do move "%%f" .
for /f "tokens=*" %%f in ('dir /a:D /s /b') do rd "%%f"

It works the only problem I have is that potentially there could be photos with the same filename in different folders and I don't want to overwrite.


Is there any parameter I can set on the move command to block the overwrite?


Thanks



Answer



Is there any parameter I can set on the move command to block the overwrite?


You can use the /-Y switch (Enable confirmation prompt, when overwriting files).


The following trick will answer n, so the move doesn't happen:


echo n|move /-y "%%f" .

Notes:




  • This trick only works for a single file, no wildcards




  • If a file is not moved your following rd command will fail with th following error:


    The directory is not empty.




Further Reading



No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...