Sunday 15 April 2018

windows 7 - LAN adapter vanishes occasionally on HP notebook

I have a HP Pavilion dm1 laptop running Windows 7.


It has a wireless and a 100MBit wired network connection.


Occasionally (like, at the moment), the 100MBit adapter will simply vanish. The device is no longer visible in the device manager, nor in the list of network adapters. All that is visible there is the wireless connection and some virtual miniport thingy.


WLAN continues to work as usual.


What I've tried:



  • Running the laptop both off the battery and off the electrical socket

  • Turning wireless LAN on and off

  • Checking the BIOS for any options

  • Running the "Install new hardware" wizard

  • Switching energy saving plans

  • Editing the energy saving plan to turn off all options that might disable the adapter

  • Restarting the machine repeatedly


Is there some setting I'm overlooking? Or is it bound to be a hardware defect?


If all else fails, I'll prepare a Knoppix or other live Linux CD and see whether it works there, but I'll wait whether someone knows what this could be first.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...